I love baking and I used to try different recipes when it comes to baking cakes. Red Wine Chocolate Cake was one such experiment, and it turned out so well that we all loved it.
My relative visited us last year in the month of November and he came with a bottle of Red Wine. V don't drink wines or any alcohol for that matter; so I was the one who gave my relative a company. I was sure its gonna stay in our refrigerator if I don't use it for anything else. My birthday was coming up and I decided to search for a cake recipe with Red Wine, on Pinterest. That's how I found out this recipe which I customised the frosting part according to the ingredients available here.
As this cake was made 5 months back, and as I had no idea I would be starting a blog soon, I didn't take any picture of it's "making" part. Anyway, here goes the recipe.
Red Wine Chocolate Cake
All Purpose Flour - 1 3/4 cups
Cocoa Powder - 3/4 cups
Espresso Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Granulated Sugar - 1 3/4 cups
Eggs - 2 no.s
Vegetable Oil - 1/2 cup
Whole Milk - 1 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Red Wine - 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 2 cake tins and keep them aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and vegetable oil with an electric or hand mixer for about 3 minutes on a medium speed.
- Slowly add in sugar, until the mixture gets pale in colour for about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add in milk and vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients (sifted and kept aside) and mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as and when required.
- Pour in wine and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly into the greased tins and bake them for 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and keep them to cool.
Unsalted Butter, softened - 1 cup
Icing Sugar - 4 cups
Cocoa Powder - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1-2 tbsp
Vanilla Extract - 2-3 tsp
- Mix together the icing sugar and cocoa powder with a wire whisk in a mixing bowl until completely combined.
- Add in the unsalted butter and the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Slowly add in milk, 1 tbsp at a time. Mix everything well, until you get the correct consistency.
All you need is some water and sugar and mix it well.
Assembling the Cake
- Place the first cake on a cake board or on a plate. (I used a plate).
- Brush the sugar syrup on top of the cake and then spread the chocolate frosting over it.
- repeat the process with the next layer of cake.
- When it's done, cover the whole cake with more frosting and refrigerate it for about an hour.
- By that time, take the remaining frosting and add more milk and make it a smooth ganache.
- Take out the cake from fridge and pipe the chocolate ganache on the top and around the edge of the cake.
- Add some sprinkles on top.
- I also added 2 fondant butterflies on top.
Tadaa..Your Red Wine Chocolate Cake is ready ☺